Nafasi Ya Matangazo

August 23, 2009

Isegwe akifukuza upepo na Mwethiopia.
Andrea Silvini running the marathon
Faustin Baha Sulle running the marathon.
Tanzanian long distance runners, prospects of scooping top honours in the 42.km marathon race at the world championship was shattered by injuries that prevented Christopher Isegwe and Lucian Hombo from finishing the race over the weekend.

Christopher Isegwe, who went to the front with the leading pack in the first 16km sustained a serious achilles tendon injury when the race hit 17km mark but struggled up to 27km when it became impossible to continue with the race. ``Despite some nagging pain at my achilles tendon I concentrated on maintaining a sustained and consistent speed but at 27 kilometre I had to succumb to the injury''.

Lucian Hombo ran steadily up to 34 kilometres where he sustained a harmstring injury and dropped leaving Faustin Baha, Geturi Bayo and Andrea Silvini to finish the race. Among the over 110 elite runners, Faustin Baha was the first Tanzanian to hit the finish line in 2:17.11 to become 28th in a race that involved over 110 top long distance runners from all over the world.

Getuli Bayo finished 57th in 2:25.52 earning his season best time while Andrea Silvini finished 60th in 2:28.48.

The race was won by Kenyan Abel Kirui who finished in 2:06.54 setting his career record. “When I was reaching the finish line I still couldn’t believe it,” he said. “But I love running in Berlin. I know it so well from my times here with Haile Gebresellasie, and that made it so special for me. I love this city. When I got off the plane I knew then I could win, I was so confident. This morning I prayed with my coach for help, but I was so sure I would do it,” said Kirui after the race.

Commenting about the results, the Assistant Secretary General for Athletics Tanzania, Julius Musomi said ``There is no witch-hunt, our runners were well prepared and in good spirits but we were not luck, because the weather was good, temperature was 18 degrees celsius and humidity was 73 per cent at start while it was 21 degrees celsius and 49 per cent humidity at finish``.
Posted by MROKI On Sunday, August 23, 2009 No comments

0 comments:

Post a Comment

  • Facebook
  • Twitter
  • Youtube

Labels

Blog Archive

Nafasi Ya Matangazo